Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Pan-Fried Duck Eggs


We are extremely fortunate to live near an amazing family that happens to grow and sell beautiful vegetables and duck eggs!
I love trying alternate versions of things we can readily get (and take for granted) and the opportunity to have duck eggs instead of chicken eggs is a must. They are a little richer, but I was slightly disappointed in that I could taste no discernible difference from their poultry cousins. The eggs we get are sustainably raised and I swear this method makes for happier animals and thus tastier food. The shells alone are a sign of the nature of the ducks. They take repeated whacks to crack open! This caused me some concern as I was trying to deftly crack them into a hot pan without any shell bits going in.


For brunch on Sunday we had a meal of the duck eggs, fried up with rosemary and seasoned with smoked salt, pepper and a drizzle of olive oil. On the side, we had applewood smoked bacon, and swiss chard from the garden, sauteed in some of the bacon drippings. It was heaven!

No comments: