Sunday, May 13, 2007

Red Dahlia Elixir


One of my all time favorite restaurants is Red Dahlia in Carlsbad CA. We used to go for their supper clubs that happened once a month and became the only way to enjoy their food, unless you were going to have them cater an event. The supper clubs haven’t happened for a while now, and I hope they have something soon because it is really a fantastic experience. Before the supper clubs they actually used to have regular restaurant hours and you could go for lunch or dinner. One time with lunch I had the Red Dahlia Elixir, an infusion of ginger, lemongrass, lemon, cinnamon, and mint. Everything comes in a French Press and it steeps at your table. It’s tangy, mint-y and spicy! Here is my version of it using everything from my garden, except for the cinnamon.

Silver mint
Ginger mint
Cinnamon
Ginger slices
Lemongrass stalk sliced
Orange zest and slice

Place everything in a French press or infuser and add hot water. Steep for about 10 minutes. Sweeten with honey, if desired.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Michele, every one of the May entries are wonderful, but I chose the Red Dahlia Elixir as the one to write my comment because of the wonderful dining memories that we have had in their charming bistro. I also feel a personal connection to the photo of the French press since it is so much a part of my pleasant past. Finally, the photos and recipes on your blog are fabulous. The gelato is definitely worth a trip.

Michele said...

Thanks! It's a great alternative to tea and coffee, and anything in a french press looks delicious!